create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Tuesday, August 9, 2011

Fall Soup Favorites

I know it's still August but the one thing I look forward to about the end of summer is fall/winter soup season! During the summer months I've made some soups but most were light (mainly because of lack of ingredients) but still wholesome nonetheless. I'm hoping in the near future to be gainfully employed so I may continue making my kitchen a mess with these recipes.

Ina Garten's Sausage Lentil Soup is something that I've made variations with and I hope to continue to tweak in the fall. One thing I really like is using hot sausage and adding kale to the mix too. Makes it feel hearty and is a way to add in more veggies. Her recipe calls for kielbasa, I'm hoping around the holiday season if its on sale I'll be able to experiment and see how it would taste with leftover kielbasa.

Emeril's Split Pea Soup is pretty easy to prep and goes over quite well in my household. If I have leftover ham I like to chop it up and add to the soup but this is tasty without it as well. I'd like to try making this in the fall with some milk alternatives to see if it will lower the calorie content but still keep the nutrients. I'm not a big fan of milk but I'm the minority in my household.

Miso Soup! This is one of the easiest soups to make and great all year round. One of the items I want to keep on hand in the fall/winter season is miso paste (shiro is my fav.) Tofu can be pricey at times but the soup still maintains it flavor with or without it. I like to cut my tofu up in small little cubes to make it stretch even further. I also want to learn more recipes that use miso paste.

These soups are some of my favorites from last fall/winter but I am hopeful that I will be creating even better variations soon! Aka adding kale to everything! ;)

2 comments:

  1. I can't wait for soups too!!

    The Wegmans brand of tofu is $1.49!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! I wish Wegman's was closer to my face! I wonder if I can stock up on tofu from there and freeze it. I miss going there once a month, now its once a decade!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...