create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Tuesday, June 28, 2011

Sayonara, Microwave!

Haier MWM0701TB Compact 2/3-Cubic-Foot 700-Watt Microwave Oven, Black
After several years my microwave finally kicked the bucket last month and I couldn't have been happier! I've been trying to use the microwave less and less before its demise, maybe a lonely heart is what ultimately caused it to break.
Month later I noticed a small dip in my energy bill which is always a great plus. I mainly used the microwave for steamable veggies. Now that I am back on regular frozen vegetables, when I can't afford to buy it fresh, I noticed that I am wasting less than I did with steamables. Instead of having to cook up a whole bag I am able to get enough vegetables for 3 side dishes out of one bag of frozen. It allows me to stretch a buck even further, especially since compared to the steamables that are sometimes on sale for $1 each the frozen non-steam variety are usually $1 to begin with and contains more veggies!
My crockpot seems to be enjoying the extra counter space and even if I had the funds to get another microwave I doubt I would. I've been enjoying leftovers being re-heated and tasting like they did the night before :)

2 comments:

  1. Yes! This is on the horizon for me as well. I usually only use it when I have two extraordinarily hungry children who are desperate for food and I must microwave it quickly. But, I am trying to get into the habit of using the stove more than anything. Maybe I should smash it! Then we couldn't use it anymore!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yes! Smash it up! Embrace the stove top!(except if the burners are on);)

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...