create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Monday, September 12, 2011

Recession Staples

Being unemployed during a recession has taught me a few things when it comes to kitchen stables. Here's a some things that if I don't have on hand I would go hungry without!

BEANS! Yes, they deserve caplocks. My friend gave me two bags of beans and I was able to make 6 different meals out of them! And no they weren't all soup recipes either. Since meat is rare while I'm unemployed beans have been taking their place in some dishes that I make, and even when I am gainfully employed I think it will stay that way.

Flour: I can go without sugar but flour is a different story. Though I may combine both when baking sugar isn't needed in every single baked good which is why it takes priority to have flour vs sugar on hand. I've made some breads, fresh pizza doughs, and some muffins without sugar and they all came out quite well :)

Rice: No matter what the finances may be I always need rice! I can eat it plain (and I have many of times) or as a side dish. Sometimes I like to make fried rice ( with coconut oil) with random frozen veggies I may have on hand. For me there are many recipes I can use rice in to stretch meals even further!

Though I still have lots of pasta on hand I haven't found it to be essential during this "Great" Recession. Honestly plain pasta isn't all that appealing and I rather save what butter I have for toast (from either store bought or fresh breads I make) than buttered noodles. I love homemade sauce for pasta dishes but it can be costly which is why I haven't had it for a long time. Sometimes I'll get bottled sauces to use with the pastas I do have left in my cupboards but if I had to buy the pasta and sauce I doubt it would end up in my cart, because surprisingly there are cheaper meal ideas out there.

One thing I do know if that my kitchen stables will change once I have a steady/unsteady/anything income again! I'd love to stock up my freeze full of frozen vegetables and overdose on stir fry bliss :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...