create your own banner at mybannermaker.com!

Monday, September 19, 2011

My Allergy (Medicine) Free Summer

I survived this summer. I think.

Last summer I used to take knock off over the counter allergy meds before starting heavy machine aka my lawn mower. My eyes and sinuses would be clear but after an hour I would feel like I was in a fog; grasping aimlessly at lawn clippings and weeds.
This summer I wanted to see how long I can go without having to medicate myself to do yard work and though fall hasn't officially started yet I'm calling it early and saying that I made the whole summer without allergy meds! I was able to get more done this summer, yet still much cleaning I want to do early fall, in that my garden was doubled and I got more weeds slain than ever before!
Though when my allergies would flare up I would either take breaks indoors and go back outside for another round or call it quits for the day. It helped to learn my own physical limitations where before I would just keep going til the allergy meds, often exhausted and out of commission for the rest of the day.
Everyone is different. I've always been odd but besides the point I wanted to be at least semi-alert while doing yardwork, since for me it is a labor of love to see my vegetable garden both blossom and wither.

I'm not advocating that one needs to stop taking allergy medications if they are working for you, I just want to seek and learn natural alternatives so I may make the most out of my fleeting summers with my beloved veggies. Oh and the weeds, my love for them knows no bounds.

2 comments:

  1. This is an impressive accomplishment. Congrats. :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Danke! Rooibos tea helped a bit with allergies but I must research more alternatives before next spring!

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...